We are a theatre company and registered charity, recognised as a ‘Theatre of Sanctuary’ for our arts work with refugee and asylum seeking young people. Most of our work engages young people and young adults who came to the UK as unaccompanied minors, otherwise described as separated children. We work with people of all genders, and historically we have worked with young men extensively, reflecting the high percentage of unaccompanied minor young men.
Our vision and mission
Refugee stories are all around. Our vision is that these stories are amplified and heard. We collaborate with people with lived experience – as artists, audiences, activists, participants and partners, and invite the wider public to listen and advocate for change.
We will achieve this vision through our mission, which is to:
- Create performance that amplifies refugees’ voices on public platforms.
- Deliver ongoing theatre work with refugees and asylum seekers aged 15-25, with a particular focus on unaccompanied asylum seeking children.
- Engage refugee, recently arrived and other underserved audiences as new audiences to our work.
We achieve our mission in these ways:
- We collaborate with refugee artists, leaders and youth workers to develop bold and informed arts practices rooted in care.
- We work with refugees to train professionals working in the refugee sector using experiential methods to better understand the refugee experience.
- We raise awareness of refugee issues on a wider societal level through advocacy and media work.
- We provide paid work, training and development opportunities for refugee artists and youth workers.
- We contribute to developing best practice in the arts and refugee sectors, through designing and delivering refugee-led, informed, creative training.