The Men and Boys Coalition is an informal but cohesive and mutually supportive network of responsible groups, organisations, academics, journalists, commentators and leaders who are committed to taking action on the gender-specific issues that affect men and boys.
While members of the coalition have expertise in diverse areas, we all understand that our issues are interlinked and inseparable, often requiring holistic solutions. For example, we recognise that problems of male homelessness cannot be fully addressed without also
considering issues of men’s mental health, unemployment, drug and alcohol abuse, imprisonment and rehabilitation, etc.
Our goal is to strengthen and support the work of members, not to replicate or replace it.
Members of the Coalition share the aims of:
- Highlighting and tackling issues where the needs of men and boys are unmet
- Highlighting and tackling the circumstances where the victims of unfair discrimination are men and boys
- Helping create positive and constructive public discussion about men, manhood and masculinity
The Coalition will act as a vehicle to promote a year-round focus on these broad aims beyond their current focus on International Men’s Day. Issues that are of particular concern to the Coalition include (in no particular order):
- The high male suicide rate
- The challenges faced by boys and men at all stages of education including attainment
- Men’s health, shorter life expectancy and workplace deaths
- The challenges faced by the most marginalised men and boys in society (for instance, homeless men, boys in care and the high rate of male deaths in custody)
- Male victims of violence, including sexual violence
- The challenges faced by men as parents, particularly new fathers and separated fathers
- Male victims and survivors of sexual abuse, rape, sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, forced marriage, honour-based crime, stalking and slavery
- The negative portrayal of men, boys and fathers
We will, where possible, assist members of the media to find relevant facts and research or signpost them towards professional experts on gender issues affecting men and boys.
We will, where possible, engage political and administrative leaders to ensure the voices of men and boys are heard and their needs are included in policy decisions.
The Coalition will not:
- Provide and promote solutions to individual issues affecting men and boys, that is the remit of the individual organisations and leaders themselves
- Accept or work with organisations or individuals who are anti-women/girls and/or advocate removing resources from women/girls
- Accept or work with organisations or individuals who express misogyny, homophobia, transphobia, racism or any other form of bigotry or discrimination
Read our full Mission Statement here
The Men and Boys Coalition is a charity (unincorporated association) address: c/o The ManKind Initiative, Flook House, Belvedere Road, Taunton TA1 1BT